The Rubin Museum offers volunteers the opportunity to gain exposure to the workings of an art museum and to contribute services to various departments within the museum.
The Rubin Museum of Art uses volunteers in many departments including visitor experience, family programs, membership, the museum shop, the education department, communications, the library, programming and the curatorial department.
Candidates must be willing to make a long-term commitment to serve as a Rubin Museum volunteer.
Qualified candidates should have an interest in Himalayan art or museums, a flexible attitude toward working with others, and an understanding that reliability is important.
In appreciation of their dedication, all active interns and volunteers receive the following benefits:
- Free museum admission for intern/volunteer and one guest
- 10% discount on food/drink items at Serai
- 25% discount on most shop items at Serai
- Free admission to many museum programs when available
- 10% discount on selected museum programs
- 25% discount on gift memberships
- Invitation to an annual appreciation event
If you are interested in volunteering at the Rubin Museum of Art, please email your resume along with a cover letter indicating (1) your interest in become involved with the Rubin Museum of Art, (2) what type of volunteering you are interested in, (3) your relevant qualifications, and (4) your availability (days/times) to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Sundays Volunteer
Available program times: Sundays 12:30 to 4:30 p.m. Family Sundays are a drop-in style program offering family-friendly activities throughout the Museum
- To assist an education staff member with set-up, clean-up, and facilitation of art-making for Family Sundays
Skills Required: Maturity, ability to interact with the public and with children, ability to follow the lead of teacher and ability to stand for extended periods of time.
Available program times: Wednesdays 12:30 to 2:30 p.m. and 6:30 to 9:00 p.m.; Saturdays 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.; Sundays 1:00 to 5:00 p.m.
- Placing museum materials on all theater tables.
- Opening theater and collecting tickets from program patrons.
- Answering general museum questions.
Skills Required: Maturity, ability to interact with the public, and ability to stand for extended periods of time.
K2 Lounge Will-Call Hosts
Available program times: one Friday night per month from 6:00 to 9:45 p.m.
- Giving out tickets for the Cabaret Cinema film (tickets are free with a $10 purchase from the café).
- Answering questions from the general public about the museum, Cabaret Cinema, and the evening’s programs.
- Welcoming program participants as they arrive at the museum; coordinating/communicating with programming staff.
Skills Required: Maturity, positive attitude, outgoing nature, and customer service skills.